Thursday, July 9, 2009

Season 6?

So, not so many months ago, we did blog posts here about how Season 5 was going to be the last for Supernatural, the sensible ending to a five-season story arc. But now, probably because of increased ratings this last season, we're getting rumblings of a possible sixth season. Jensen and Jared are evidently already signed for a sixth if it came about. But here's my question -- after you have a season that is centered around the ultimate Big Bad Guy (aka Lucifer), what do you follow that with? Or do you think they could stretch the Lucifer story over two seasons? Perhaps they stick Lucifer back where he belongs, but then they have to deal with...dare I say it...Heaven?

As a writer, I would be a bit freaked if I thought I knew how many episodes I had left to finish wrapping up a story but then discovered that, oh wait, there might be even more episodes. How do you figure out what to reveal when and how to arc Season 5 if you don't know if it's truly the end or you will end up having an entire additional season to play with?

So, if there is a Season 6, what are your theories on what the big bad for that season will be? Do you want a sixth season, or do you like the idea of the story going out on a high point with Season 5? I certainly don't want it to stick around until it just gets stupid and embarrassing to watch.